Grapes and Raisins Are Toxic In Dogs - It's True!

Have you heard that grapes and raisins are toxic in dogs? I had heard of this some time ago but had forgotten about it. I never give my dogs fruit or vegetables as a treat - I've always been a small dog cookie treater, or occasionally a piece of Bil-Jac.

336 x 280

However, I've recently been reminded of this again in articles I'd seen in blog posts and on the news.

Grapes and Raisins Are Highly Toxic For Dogs - It's True!

So .... I did a little research and found a few things I wanted to share with you taken directly from the ASPCA websites to make you aware of this potential danger - especially here at the holidays.

Raisins Are Toxic In Dogs!

Please read the articles below and DO NOT give your German Shepherds any raisins or grapes to eat, ANYTIME.

Raisins are toxic in dogs! This snippet talking about raisins and dogs was taken directly from the website

"I've heard that grapes are poisonous to dogs."

Yes or no? —Sheila C. Yes, Sheila. At the current time, we know that grapes and raisins appear to cause renal failure in dogs who've ingested large amounts. However, we have not determined with certainty the toxic component, or the exact mechanism that causes renal failure. It is also not clear if only certain dogs are affected, or if long-term ingestions can lead to the same effects that a large one-time ingestion can.

Because there are still many unknowns regarding the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, it is advisable not to give grapes or raisins to dogs in any amount."

Additionally, here is more information about grapes and raisins and ingestion of them by dogs:

"The following information was obtained from the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center's EMail News Alert:


In response to reports of dogs developing kidney failure after eating large amounts of grapes or raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) conducted a review of all related cases in its database. Veterinary toxicologists found that all of the companion canines developed vomiting within six hours of ingestion; the estimated amounts of grapes or raisins eaten ranged from nine ounces to two pounds. Other commonly reported signs included diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy and abdominal pain, and all of the dogs developed evidence of kidney disfunction. Adds APCC's Charlotte Means, DVM, "Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten." Clinical signs lasted for several days--sometimes even weeks. And after aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, half of the dogs recovered, while the others died or had to be euthanized.

At present, the exact role of grapes or raisins in these cases--what exactly is the toxic component--is still unclear. But a dog who has ingested large amounts can now be diagnosed and treated successfully. The first line of defense is decontamination, and the canine should be hospitalized and placed on IV fluids. If the blood work appears normal after three days, it's unlikely that kidney failure will occur; if there is evidence of renal failure, more aggressive treatment--including fluids, medication and possibly dialysis--is called for. For more on treating and identifying poisoning from grapes and raisins, please visit APCC online.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes--or any other potentially dangerous substance--call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline at 1-888-4-ANI-HELP for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For more information on poison prevention, go to APCC online." Remember, raisins are toxic in dogs - grapes too!

Return from Raisins Are Toxic In Dogs to Dog Articles

All knowledge, the totality of all questions and all answers is contained in the dog." - Kafka

Sign up for promotions, news, discounts, and the chance to win prizes for you and your German Shepherd

E-mail Address
First Name

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you German Shepherds Rule.

300 x 250

Thank you for this web site. Very informative and well written. I often advise my shepherd people to visit here for information. Again GREAT JOB.
Laura Page Warden

What a fabulous website!!! I really enjoyed reading about the history of the dogs. There is a ton of helpful information on here and defiantly something for every reader to enjoy!!!
Misty Weaver

Recently got a GSD again. Last time had GSD no internet etc. Cant believe how much info for free. Kenneth

I love and appreciate the helpful advice I found on your website!