In winter, cars function on antifreeze. This substance is one of the deadliest toxins for canines living in the country and/or with access to a garage or vehicle.
If you suspect your dog has gotten into this radiator car coolant, do not be indecisive. Dash your animal to the vet immediately. There is no time to hesitate.
This is a toxic product used to prevent the lines from freezing during the winter. It contains ethylene glycol. This is a substance extremely toxic to dogs.
Absorption of antifreeze into the body can result in neurological damage as well as the destruction of the functions of the kidneys due to the formation of crystals.
Symptoms of Antifreeze Consumption
Indications of antifreeze poisoning are visible in 2 different stages. The animal will pass through stage 1, seem to recover slightly, then enter stage 2.
The first stage of engine coolant poisoning occurs around 30 minutes following the drinking of the toxin. It may last for a few hours before advancing into stage 2. The canine will look and act like a drunken individual. She or he will:
* Stagger aimlessly, the actions being uncoordinated
* Exhibit signs of disorientation and confusion
* Act listless
* Will drink copious amounts of fluid
* Urinate profusely
During stage 2, the dog will exhibit increasingly severe and radical behavior and physical indications of problems. These include:
* Loss of consciousness
The immediate action is to take your dog to a vet. Only a vet will be able to save your canine's life. The sooner you can do this, the better. Your vet will first induce vomiting - frequently by injecting some apomorphine into the conjunctival sac of the eye.
After the animal ceases vomiting, the vet will flush out the eye, then stop the vomiting with another injection - this time of antiemetic. The next step is to administer orally a dosage of activated charcoal. The purpose of this is to prohibit further absorption of any more toxins into the body.
The dog will remain overnight at the vets. He or she will receive fluids intravenously. This is a precautionary measure. Note, that it is possible for you to give your dog activated charcoal. It may help reduce the effects and keep the poison at bay until he or she reaches the vets.
The best cure is preventive action. Avoid using the toxic form of antifreeze. There are more environmentally and canine safe alternatives. If you must use it, do not leave it where your pet can drink it.
When performing routine maintenance or pouring the material into your car, check to see you do not spill any of it. If a spill occurs, wipe it up immediately. Monitor your dog at all times around possible antifreeze locations. Be vigilant. It is a painful and entirely unnecessary way for your dog to die.
Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol. This substance is attractive to dogs. It tastes sweet. More importantly, the ingestion of antifreeze is very deadly. Antifreeze can destroy the kidneys and other bodily functions of your dog.
The result can be death. Such painful consequences are avoidable. Switch to a non-toxic type of radiator coolant. Alternatively, keep it out of your dogs harms way.
"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." - Abraham Lincoln
Sign up for promotions, news, discounts, and the chance to win prizes for you and your German Shepherd
Looking For The Perfect Dog Toy?
"Just wanted to let you know that a YEAR after I received my varsity ball for Achilles, he is STILL in love with it! He's now 17 months old and 85 lbs!! He plays with his ball every day!"
You'll Love Our FREE Monthly Newsletter!
Sign Up Below:
Thank you for this web site. Very informative and well written. I
often advise my shepherd people to visit here for information. Again
Laura Page Warden
What a fabulous website!!! I really enjoyed reading about the history of the dogs. There is a ton of helpful information on here and defiantly something for every reader to enjoy!!!
Recently got a GSD again. Last time had GSD no internet etc. Cant believe how much info for free. Kenneth
I love and appreciate the helpful advice I found on your website!